Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Tumor of the Soul



"My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The '80s were about acquiring -- acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul."
-Lee Atwater (1951-1991) Life Magazine, February 1991.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Lee Atwater sums up all that is wrong in American politics and why we should never confuse the GOP to be a righteous organization (or the DNC, they're both in it for the power and will do what it takes to gain it), yet he also sums up all that is right in Christianity and the glory of being redeemed!!!!

I had long forgotten about him and his wonderful transformation, thank you for reminding me.


Kevin

Andy said...

Good Points Kevin. I remember hearing someone say that when the LORD returns, He'll not be walking down the steps of Air Force One.