Monday, January 26, 2009

A long walk through Georgetown ...

I took a long walk through Georgetown today to say good bye to a great friend, a mentor, someone who taught me about servant leadership by her example, by her life.

Earlier today I received word that, after years of a brave fight against cancer, the end is near and so I started walking from Dupont Circle, down M Street, up Wisconsin, across Reservoir, passing my parents' old high school and the neighborhood where my mother grew up, and then to Georgetown Hospital to say goodbye.

She was awake when I got there and we were able to share together for a little while and I prayed with her, not quite comprehending that this is farewell. I worked with her, for her, until she retired to spend time with her husband and her son and enjoy her life. Dedicated to her job, she was even more dedicated to her staff, a truly remarkable witness in this fast-paced and most often so self-centered world of Washington. Over the years, she's kept up with all of us, checking in, keep tabs, making sure. She encouraged me in my writing and even today asked me about the writing. And always the hostess, she talked with me as though I had just dropped by for tea. Even to the end, she thinks about others, including her son and her husband.

As I left Georgetown Hospital for another long walk through Georgetown and back to Dupont Circle, this song came up on the iPod and so here it is. One of the last things she said to me was "we will talk again," and looked me straight in the eye. Yes we will, to God be the glory.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

A beautiful vignette, a peek through a window into your life, but also to the wider eternal truths of those in Christ.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, but, did your parents go to Western High School? I went to Calvin Coolidge. Western and Wilson were our big rivals ca. 1957-1960.

Unknown said...

Yes, my parents graduated from Western High School together in 1951. ;-)

bb

Anonymous said...

May the God of all comfort, the Christ who wept and raged at the tomb of Lazarus be with you.

God Bless you BB

Anonymous said...

I agree w/Anonymous, God bless you, BB. This brought back the memories of my husband's passing. He had been wracked with pain and suffering from the lymphoma, organ failure and the various treatments he'd received.. but over the final day, he was so at peace. He took my hand in his right hand, and our daughter's in his left, and said that as long as he had us, he was alright. I now know that he was at peace, and the Lord was with him, but at the time, I was a wreck, and not ready to say good-bye.

Your sharing this with us, BB, it meant a lot to me.

Mari

Andy said...

(((Hugs))) Mary. I pray that the Almighty would shelter you beneath His wings tonight.

Anonymous said...

Blessings and peace, Mary.

Miss Sippi

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God that He is Good, Faithful and True, that we can safely commend our loved ones into His Wise, Merciful, Loving, Heart and Hands.