Saturday, November 08, 2008

Saturday Night at the Cafe: Four Takes of Eternal Circle by Bob Dylan c. 1963-64



I sang the song slowly
As she stood in the shadows
She stepped to the light
As my silver strings spun
She called with her eyes
To the tune I's a-playin'
But the song it was long
And I'd only begun

Through a bullet of light
Her face was reflectin'
The fast fading words
That rolled from my tongue
With a long-distance look
Her eyes was on fire
But the song it was long
And there was more to be sung.

My eyes danced a circle
Across her clear outline
With her head tilted sideways
She called me again
As the tune drifted out
She breathed hard through the echo
But the song it was long
And it was far to the end

I glanced at my guitar
And played it pretendin'
That of all the eyes out there
I could see none
As her thoughts pounded hard
Like the pierce of an arrow
But the song it was long
And it had to get done

As the tune finally folded
I laid down the guitar
Then looked for the girl
Who'd stayed for so long
But her shadow was missin'
For all of my searchin'
So I picked up my guitar
And began the next song

-B. Dylan 1963

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you like to try explaining to me how we could possibly be in love with the same music? Believe me when I say, "I have no idea."

:)

Unknown said...

It is possible, Scott, that Bob Dylan might find that one of the best compliments of all.

bb