Saturday, November 29, 2008

Saturday Night at the Cafe: I'll meet you halfway



The first album I ever bought was the album that included this song called Up to Date. I was ten and living in Mt. Pleasant, S.C. The lasting legacy of that album is that I still remember the birthdays of each individual Partridge (Susan Dey's birthday is next at Dec. 10), including even Simone the family dog (June 22) who showed up in the first season only of the now classic television series. In fact, I collected all the albums (1971-1972), except for the Greatest Hits album, which was - obviously - redundant. I had moved on (literally, to California), though I still have those albums, for some reason. Guess one never knows when we might forget Shirley Jones' birthday (March 31). Or Simone's. It would be better to remember one's own sister-in-law's birthday (yesterday). Happy Birthday, Lu.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Oh my goodness! For my birthday a couple years back my oldest son gave me "The Partridge Family Sound Magazine." (It has pictures of their first two albums, so this may have been their third.) Here we learn, for example, that Shirley likes the color green, and her favorite food is speghetti and meat balls. David likes to drink 7-Up and his favorite song is "The Thrill is gone" by B.B. King. (Thrilling, eh?)

When I was twelve or thirteen I could only afford 45s. Rarely would I buy an LP. More than likely I got my first album as a gift. (I think it was by Bobby Sherman, closely followed by the Osmond Bros.) David Cassidy was okay, but perhaps not worth the $4.95 to me. ;)

Andy said...

Tres cool BB!
The Partridge Family was a Friday night fixture in our home. We'd start the Jiffypop in time to hear the "Hello World" opening theme.

Anonymous said...

Andy, it was much like that at our house too. (And of course, the Brady Bunch came on right before the Partridge family!)