Saturday, January 27, 2007

Yes, I'm at the Diocese of Virginia Council

It's Saturday morning and I'm getting ready to go down to the last day of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia Council meeting here in Richmond. I'm here observing council, not as a delegate as I was for the last two years. If I were to describe Council I might say that this is a diocese that is in disbelief and perhaps grieving deeply over all that has happened - but has no outlet and encouragement from the leadership to express that grief in a healthy and productive way. So the result is to either put on the happy face as though nothing has changed, submerge the sense of loss, engage in angry outbursts, or be vulnerable to those who would seek to use the denial for other purposes.

I have run into old friends and there have been hugs and tears. I feel sorrow. But there is also a sense that I am now a stranger here - and perhaps I always was.

bb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

8:58am verse 9:00am -- get out of my head or was I in yours ... LOL!

Anonymous said...

God bless you, BB.

KC

Anonymous said...

BB-I'm glad you have a good handle on the need for mourning this loss. Such a shame that the diocese convention, saturated with clergy, didn't make provision.