Thursday, March 15, 2007

Long Distance Dedications







BB NOTE: Some of you may not know, but I spent much of my childhood around Charleston, South Carolina. The family lived on James Island in the mid-1960s and then - after a sojourn in Connecticut - returned to Mt. Pleasant in the early 1970s. In 1973 we went West and did not return to the East until college. We remember the old rickety Cooper River Bridge when it was only two lanes. We also remember moving into our home on Shem Creek in a hurricane. Tonight we're reflecting on that extraordinary place called Charleston and knowing that there are many who are bewildered and troubled by the decision made today by the Presiding Bishop. We pray, as we hear the rain falling outside our own windows here in Virginia, that the mercy of the Lord will reign down upon our brothers and sisters in the Diocese of South Carolina and to Mark Lawrence and his family. The songs above came to mind as we pondered the events of the day - and the photos reflect the beauty of that land. But the most beautiful part of South Carolina are the people. The Lord be with you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you the photographer of all these lovely images? I too am a southern girl and those azaleas make me homesick! Janine

Unknown said...

I found the songs by poping in at this website then surfing from there.

Alas, the photos I found also by surfing around looking for Charleston landmarks (two are from the Mangolia Plantation Gardens and one is of Shem Creek - my Mt. Pleasant home was on Shem Creek). But seeing the photos makes me want to plan a road trip south. We send a special tip of the tinfoil hat to Dwight and Bethany and all the kids, Amy and Peter and their two sets of twins, Steve, Kendall, Sarah, and Jay and Katherine and the girls - and the many others who's hearts are heavy tonight. Lots of prayers!

bb

Anonymous said...

When I saw the top of the live oak downloading, I felt sure this must be the Angel Oak on James Island. I immediately recognized the other two since I am from an old Charleston family and was reared in St. Andrew's Parish. It was while at Winthrop in Rock Hill, however, that I was confirmed into the Episcopal Church.

Ah, so long ago.... So much of the world has changed. One can never really go back.

The Live Oaks at the Magnolia Cemetery in Charleston were all taken out by Hugo. I had to learn new ways to find where my grandparents and great-grandparents are buried without the landmark trees.

Then the Episcopal Church left me and I had to learn new ways in my spiritual life.

It is good to go back and see at least the Angel Oak still stands, just as it did when I was my great-grandmother was a child and her great- grand parents before her.

Poor, poor, South Carolina, It is as though another Hugo has come through to destroy it once again....

Thankfully, God is in control. I pray that this will help many South Carolinians do what is necessary and sing, "We have seen the true Light, we have received the Heavenly Spirit, we have found the true faith worshipping the undivided Trinity for He has saved us."

On a lighter note, BabyBlue, you mentioned a field trip for this weekend. Have a wonderful time and Godspeed! We will be looking and praying for your safe return to the cafe.

Unknown said...

Thank you - looks like we'll be having a road trip through the rain (and there is a winter storm warning where we're headed). But even through the storms -where we're going is filled with joy.

bb