Monday, September 18, 2006

One of the best music videos - ever















Click on the headline above.

NOTE FROM BB: Another view of modern times: is this finally the girl from the north country? Note the many many hints of Dylanesque trivia throughout the video - I suppose someone will make a list one day like they did with the art in the Jokerman video. What do you think Dylan is referring to when he alludes to a point of time "when the deal goes down?" Just who do you think he is implying he will be with "when the deal goes down?" Who will be with any of us at that moment? As always, Dylan tells layers and layers of a story.

LATER NOTE FROM BB: I was on the train this morning heading into the city when I had another thought about this video. It is edited in the style of a Dylan song, which is often ideas, images, phrases juxtaposed beside other ideas, images, and phrases. The video is edited and filmed in a similar fashion to a Dylan song, including the "home-movie" feel of the camera. This may be what Dylan was trying to do in his own films, be they Eat the Document or Renaldo and Clara. Bennett Miller, the director (who also directed the Oscar-winning performance of Philip Seymor Hoffman in his film, Capote) makes the film as though he was inside Dylan's head. Extraordinary achievement.

When the Deal Goes Down

By Bob Dylan, 2006

In the still of the night, in the world's ancient light
Where wisdom grows up in strife
My bewildered brain, toils in vain
Through the darkness on the pathways of life
Each invisible prayer is like a cloud in the air
Tomorrow keeps turning around
We live and we die, we know not why
But I'll be with you when the deal goes down

We eat and we drink, we feel and we think
Far down the street we stray
I laugh and I cry and I'm haunted by
Things I never meant nor wished to say
The midnight rain follows the train
We all wear the same thorny crown
Soul to soul, our shadows roll
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

Well, the moon gives light and it shines by night
When I scarcely feel the glow
We learn to live and then we forgive
O'r the road we're bound to go
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours
That keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

Well, I picked up a rose and it poked through my clothes
I followed the winding stream
I heard the deafening noise, I felt transient joys
I know they're not what they seem
In this earthly domain, full of disappointment and pain
You'll never see me frown
I owe my heart to you, and that's sayin' it true
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

1 comment:

tdunbar said...

Ah, north. Reminds me of:

the Boss ain't here,
He gone North, he ain't around,
They say that vanity got the best of him
But he sure left here after sundown.

I used to prefer the original "left here in style" but it's no doubt more accurate the way
Dylan's changed that to "after sundown" ie on the Sabbath, in a metaphorical sense at least.