Thursday, November 09, 2006

From Today's Reading of Oswald Chambers "My Utmost for His Highest"

I am reading "My Utmost for His Highest" as we prepare for the next step in the discernment process at Truro. On the morning commute I was trying to figure out why Saturday's investiture has caused such a cloud to come over me - why? I feel like I'm grieving all over again. Then I read today's Oswald Chambers reading entitled, "Sacramental Service." The scripture is Colossians 1:2, which reveals more of what was missing from Saturday's service, Abba Father. But here is quote from the reading for today:

When we preach the historic facts of the life and death of Our Lord as they are conveyed in the New Testament, our words are made sacramental, God uses them on the ground of His Redemption to create in those who listen that which is not created otherwise. If we preach the effects of Redemption in human life instead of the revelation regarding Jesus, the result in those who listen is not new birth, but refined spiritual culture, and the Spirit of God cannot witness to it because such preaching is in another domain. We have to see that we are in such living sympathy with God that as we proclaim His truth He can create in souls the things which He alone can do.

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest, Nov. 9

TEC on Saturday went overboard preaching the effects of redemption in human life, but ignored the revelation regarding Jesus, as Chambers writes here. And that in a nutshell is the tragedy of this church.

bb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two elements are effecting me. What you wrote is correct and that is sad. At this moment, it's our leadership that is doing this, so we have a right to be mad.

If Truro & my parish vote to walk apart from TEC, then it can just be sad. Oh, but why do emotions take longer catch up?

However, LORD is big enough to handle things. We need continue to be faithful and preach Christ crucified & raised.

Thanks for this post -- good reading selection.