Saturday, August 26, 2006

I've heard "When the Deal Goes Down" and it is brilliant - "Ain't Talkin" is also an amazing achievement - I think we have a homerun

In the still of the night, in the world's ancient light
Where wisdom grows up in strife
My bewildering brain, tolls in vain
Through the darkness on the pathways of life
Each invisible prayer is like a cloud in the air
Tomorrow keeps turning around
We live and we die, we know not why
But I'll be with you when the deal goes down

We eat and we drink, we feel and we think
Far down the street we stray
I laugh and I cry and I'm haunted by
Things I never meant nor wished to say
The midnight rain follows the train
We all wear the same thorny crown
Soul to soul, our shadows roll
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

The moon gives light and shines by night
I scarcely feel the glow
We learn to live and then we forgive
O'r the road we're bound to go
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours
That keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

I picked up a rose and it poked through my clothes
I followed the winding stream
I heard the deafening noise, I felt transient joys
I know they're not what they seem
In this earthly domain, full of disappointment and pain
You'll never see me frown
I owe my heart to you, and that's sayin' it true
And I'll be with you when the deal goes down

4 comments:

tdunbar said...

with lovely hula swing background music

Unknown said...

Perhaps that's it thomas - as a graduate of a Honolulu high schoo (same one as Bette Midler graduated from, by the way, whatever that means!)l, perhaps it's the "hula thing" that sends me.

bb

PS Can you imagine pairing Dylan and Midler? I have to leave Starbucks now - I can't stop laughing. Now that would be movie to pay for - one way or another.

tdunbar said...

actually, got my tunes crossed. It's Beyond the Horizon I was thinking of re "hula" .. both great songs of course.

Unknown said...

I was listening to Beyond the Horizon this morning on the Metro. And "beyond the horizon" is what?

Does this seem to be the most obviously faith-centered album in a while, or what? Or is that wha?

Here you go:

Beyond the horizon o'r the treacherous sea
I still can't believe that you have set aside your love for me

Beyond the horizon, 'neath crimson skies
In the soft light of morning I'll follow you with my eyes
Through countries and kingdoms and temples of stone
Beyond the horizon right down to the bone

It's the right time of the season
Somebody there always cared
There's always a reason
Why someone's life has been spared

Beyond the horizon, the sky is so blue
I've got more than a lifetime to live lovin' you

From: Beyond the Horizon, by B. Dylan, 2006

bb