Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Breaking News: Schori kicks another bishop out

Bishop Schori has gathered the minions and tossed another bishop out.  You can read the sorry mess here.  And please note carefully who is NOT listed as responsible for this sad state of affairs.

Meanwhile, Anglican TV has an excellent interview up with the Pièce de résistance.



Note that Tobias Haller is asking if the PB has "jumped the gun," writing, "while I believe that Mark Lawrence has abandoned the communion of the Episcopal Church, I do not think he has renounced his ministry, at least in the manner laid out by Canon III.12.7, which requires a 'written declaration' to the Presiding Bishop expressing a 'desire to be removed.' "

We are wondering here at the Cafe not only whether she has jumped the gun, indeed, but whether she has also jumped the shark.

UPDATE: Bishop Lawrence has released a letter to the Diocese of South Carolina that he has not renounced his orders, that in fact, "the Diocese of South Carolina has canonically and legally disassociated from The Episcopal Church." One wonders what the Presiding Bishop's endgame is, especially now that she is a lame duck. 

What this fiasco has been successful at doing is drawing attention away from the crisis facing the Presiding Bishop and the Episcopal Church over structural and financial reorganization directives that came out of this past summer's General Convention.  In fact, 815 put out a press release this week listing the handpicked members of the Structure Task Force.  Note the dioceses represented on the Task Force, or better yet, note the dioceses NOT included. Shhhh ... let's keep this under out hats.

From here:

“For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake.”  2 Corinthians 4:5

The Presiding Bishop called me this afternoon to inform me that she and her council of advice have “accepted my renunciation of ordained ministry.” I listened quietly, asked a question or two and then told her it was good to hear her voice. I did not feel any need to argue or rebut. It is the Presiding Bishop’s crossing of the T’s and dotting of the I’s—for their paper work, not my life. I could point out the canonical problems with what they have done contrary to the canons of The Episcopal Church but to what avail?   TEC will do what they will do regardless of canonical limitations. Those canonical problems are already well documented by others and hardly need further documentation by me. She and her advisers will say I have said what I have not said in ways that I have not said them even while they cite words from my Bishop’s Address of November 17, 2012. 

Quite simply I have not renounced my orders as a deacon, priest or bishop any more than I have abandoned the Church of Jesus Christ. As I am sure you are aware, the Diocese of South Carolina has canonically and legally disassociated from The Episcopal Church. We took this action long before today’s attempt to claim a renunciation of my orders,  thereby making it superfluous.
  
So we move on—onward and upward. As I write these words in the vesper light of this first Wednesday of Advent, the bells of the Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul ring in the steeple beside the diocesan office, and I remain the Bishop of the Diocese of South Carolina. We shall continue to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ in Word and Deed to a needy world, as well as  ourselves. We need to experience afresh its power to set us free from sin, death, guilt, shame and judgment and to transform our lives  to be like Christ’s from one degree of glory to another. As the Apostle has written: “The Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

I am heartened by the support of the vast majority of those within this Diocese as well as that of the majority of Anglicans around the world and that of  many in North America who have expressed in so many ways that they consider me to be an Anglican Bishop in good standing and that this Diocese of South Carolina is part of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. 

No comments: