Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Remembering December 7th, 1941

U.S.S. Honolulu
On December 7, 1941, my dad was in elementary school and living on the island of Oahu in Hawaii.  My grandfather was an officer aboard the USS Honolulu stationed at Pearl Harbor.  On that early Sunday morning, as the bombs were falling, some even falling on my father's elementary school, my grandmother packed up her two sons and drove her husband during the attack to join his fellow officers and crew who would take the USS Honolulu out to sea.  Not knowing if she would ever see him again, she took her sons up into the hills off Mount Tantalus Drive to her cousin's home where my dad and his brother watched from the hills the attack on Pearl Harbor on this day in December 1941.

1 comment:

Kelso said...

I had two Grand Uncles (my Grandfather's brothers) at Pearl Harbor. Until the end of their lives when they told about that day the hair on their arms would stand up. Scary and moving beyond belief.